Playgroup Tasmania has been supporting, resourcing and establishing playgroups throughout Tasmania for nearly 40 years and we continue to be the most affordable and accessible not-for-profit organisation for families with young children in the State. As a not-for-profit organisation Playgroup Tasmania is reliant upon government funding, membership fees, fundraising, sponsorship and working collaboratively with other services to achieve its goals.
A voluntary Board of Governance is responsible for the strategic, financial and policy framework within the organisation. The Board also ensures that the association complies with all legal obligations and constitutional requirements under the Tasmanian Associations Incorporations Act. The Board has delegated the day to day management of the organisation and delivery of the Board endorsed strategic and policy framework to the Chief Executive Officer.
Playgroup Tasmania is a member of Playgroup Australia Inc, a council of the Associations of the eight states and territories of Australia.
To support a network of accessible playgroups in Tasmania, which are places where children are nurtured, parents are supported, and communities are created and sustained.
Playgroups in Tasmania: Connecting families, strengthening communities, and enabling children to learn through play.
We believe that parents and carers of young children are entitled to have access to a stimulating, creative and secure environment in which they may interact together to foster the development of their mutual social, educational, emotional and physical needs through play.
Families and children:
- families with children aged 0-5 years learning and developing together through play
- parents as a child’s first educator
- parents and carers supporting each other through positive playgroup experiences
- the power of playgroups to strengthen communities
- our role as the peak body for playgroups in Tasmania
- integrity of purpose, performance and accountability in dealing with stakeholders
- the partnership between our staff and volunteers, and their expertise and commitment
- To be recognised for providing learning and development through play. Leading and providing for the growth of family-centred, community-based play opportunities that engage children in learning as they discover, create, improvise and imagine
- To be a vibrant and sustainable playgroup network with strong membership and diverse participation
- To continue to be a responsible, accountable and sustainable organisation
- That Playgroup Tasmania’s Toy Library network will be recognised as a unique and valuable resource that is (and will continue to be) used by families, playgroups and the community.